Proposed Plan - Open for review by the public for the next month
Click here or on the logo above for an overview of the changes and a conversion guide showing the current routes and how they would appear in the new system design.
An extensive planning process was conducted to develop the proposed plan. The first step was to identify resources available for service enhancements (money, buses and drivers). Then, Planning and Operations identified the priority issues to be addressed given the resources. An initial service plan was developed and discussed with different operator groups, supervisors, customer service, and senior staff. Based on input from these groups, the Planning Department revised the initial concepts and came up with the proposed service changes. Phase 1 of the Service Plan element of Moving LANTA Forward calls for a redesign of the current fixed route system to meet certain goals. Listed below are the MLF service plan goals and how the proposed service changes address them:
· Goal 1: Establish a tier system of corridors
The proposed plan creates a core set of routes and adds evening/Sunday service to key corridors.
· Goal 2: Improve user-friendliness through streamlined routes and new route classification system
The proposed plan reduces the number of routes from 40 to 26 and establishes a new route numbering system based on service level.
· Goal 3: Reduce complexity by reducing variations and eliminating separate evening service structure
The proposed plan establishes a route structure in which most routes will have only one service pattern and eliminates the separate evening service model.
· Goal 4: Create direct connections for prominent travel patterns with new through-routing links
The proposed plan creates new direct connections such as Bethlehem to Hamilton St West, Emmaus Ave to the LV Mall, Susquehanna St to LVHC, South Easton to St. Luke’s Riverside.
· Goal 5: Address “tight” route segments to improve reliability and reduce operator stress
The proposed plan includes changes specifically designed to address known running time issues.
· Goal 6:Use Flexible models to address sparsely developed areas
The proposed plan establishes a pilot LANta Flex service in Macungie/Alburtis